SEMA Action Network
Gridlock and bitter partisan politics continue to persist in Washington, D.C. and in the state capitols around the country, making positive legislative action difficult. Fortunately, the SEMA Action Network has been breaking through the gridlock and promoting legislative solutions for the automotive hobby since 1997.
The SAN is a partnership between enthusiasts, vehicle clubs and members of the specialty automotive parts industry in the United States and Canada who have joined forces to promote hobby-friendly legislation and oppose unfair laws. With nearly 40,000 members, 3 million contacts and an ability to reach 30 million enthusiasts through print and press, the SAN is the premier organization defending the rights of the vehicle hobby. The SAN is free to join with no obligations or commitments.
When it comes to taking the action needed to protect the automotive hobby, only the SAN has the experience, the resources, and the dedicated network of enthusiasts to stop unreasonable bills in their tracks and keep the hobby free from overly restrictive government regulation. No other organization brings such a comprehensive set of tools and resources to bear on this mission:
- A professional government affairs staff in Washington, D.C. that works in all 50 states and at the federal level.
- A full-time research staff that monitors every bill introduced in every state.
- Tailored action alerts sent to enthusiasts with bill information, speaking points, and legislator contact information.
- The SEMA SAN website which features tracked legislation, action alerts, guidance on letter writing, lobbying elected officials, land-use policies, warranty denial and a means by which you can identify your legislators.
- The award-winning monthly legislative newsletter-Driving Force.
- Pro-hobby model legislation crafted by SEMA SAN staff.
- The State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus-a collection of nearly 450 state legislators with a common goal to support the motor vehicle hobby.
- The Congressional Motorsports Caucus-100 U.S. Representatives and Senators who have aligned to pay tribute to America's ever growing love affair with the car and motorsports.
The SAN is an organization dedicated to providing the tools and information necessary for hobbyists to protect their passion. To raise awareness of important issues affecting the hobby around the country, the SAN sponsors the Hot Rod Power Tour bus, travels to car shows and events, raises awareness through automotive media, operates a Facebook group and a Twitter page, and distributes issue brochures to car clubs and businesses. The SAN further supports car clubs by advertising their shows and charitable events in Driving Force.
In its 13-year history, the effect of the SAN on shaping government policy has been enormous. The SAN has successfully:
- Enacted street rod and custom vehicle (including kit cars and replicas) registration and titling laws in 20 states.
- Protected classic vehicles waiting to be restored on private property from confiscation.
- Safeguarded legal off-road nitrous oxide use with SAN model legislation
- Defended enthusiast's right to use more durable aftermarket exhaust systems.
- Junked state-level Cash for Clunkers legislation.
- Enacted legislation to lower taxes and fees for hobbyist vehicles.
- Advocated to ensure public lands remain open to responsible off-road recreation.
The current economic and legislative environment is emboldening governments to become more aggressive with their anti-auto hobby legislation. States are seeking new avenues for generating revenue and new ways of dictating what you can and cannot do with your vehicles. The message government is sending is clear-the hobby needs the SEMA Action Network now more than ever. Enlist now in this fellowship of auto enthusiasts, join the SAN at www.semasan.com